Saturday, 29 November 2008

A few frantic days

Had to reread to see where I was up to. After the rain I wandered out for dinner, had a roadside feast. Then again, wandered around, watched the nightlife etc etc. Went for a drinks again, worked through a bit of the cocktail list, met and sort of chatted to Grant's girlfriend, Nga. Very sweet young girl.
 
Wednesday morning Nga and I went for breakfast then for an excursion to the supermarket. We spent hours there. Piccies on flickr. I love supermarkets, great insight into a culture. Going with Nga was even better. She explained everything in Vietnamese then I had to do the same in English, as she has very little English, and wants help to learn. After the supermarket, we went for lunch, then she informed me it was sleepy time. LOL. I don't have afternoon naps, no matter how early I wake. I wasn'treally too sure what she was saying though, so I sort of followed her lead. Next thing I know I'm sorting stuff out at the hotel, smelly drain etc, and she's fast asleep in my room!! Eventually, as I was uploading photos downstairs, I heard her announce it was time for her to leave! Very handy, girl, seeing as it was time for me to leave to the airport to collect Sue and Bill. Found the public bus station, found the bus, jumped on, as it doesn't actually STOP, then hit peak hour traffic beginning as we went to the airport. They were fairly quick to arrive, and everything worked smoothly. It was a speedy few hours to follow, as we quickly had dinner and sussed out some info from travel agents to work out the plans forthe next few days. Suddenly, in a taxi, racing to the water puppet theatre. Enjoyable show!! Well worth the small admission fee! They went to bed after and I went out again. Saw some young, super young, fire breathers, they were very cute and too young to be doing such things. Talked to a nice Irish couple, bloody Irish are everywhere!!!
 
Next morning was a quick up and moving, as we were going on a Mekong Delta bus and boat tour. Down to the Mekong by way of a rather hideous bus trip. Roads in such poor state, and driver had little skill in negotiating the bus over speed bumps and around pot holes! Tour was interesting. Coconut candy factory, bee farm, lunch with water buffalo, fresh fruit on Phoenix Island (Phoenix being one fo the 4 holy animals here). In little tiny row boats and a rower who kept saying, "hot hot, when bye bye, tip tip". Was brilliant to see the area though, brought year 12 geography to life. Long horrendous trip back to city centre, as rain had started, so traffic even slower.
 
Once back, we had a few mojitos at the Go 2 Bar, with all the cool people! rofl! Then booked a few things on net, then out for drink with Grant and Nga, then an Indian feast for dinner. Late to bed, for early wakeup.
 
Friday, we were up at 4.30, moving to get to airport to go to Hanoi. Nearly missed the plane as it wasn't announced over the loud speaker. Some lovely girls came to hustle us, so we were fine, with aheap of other people who didn't hear any such announcement. Hanoi, shuttle bus into city, then taxi to hotel. Hotel lady wonderful, helped us plot our next few days. Immediatley off to the war museum so Bill could see the war stuff. Hanoi wondeful, so much more laid back, people not as in your face. Did some shopping for silk wares, we love the layout of the streets, with everything together on each street, i.e. a street of flowers, a street of baskets, a street of linen. Late lunch. Markets, bit more shopping, then checked out the lake. Late by now. Traffic getting far worse. Streets closedoff. Not good!! Sue and Bill returned to hotel, and I went to the Ho Chi Minh Mausuleum for Friday night indoctrination. Amazing to see. freaky to see. Home, bed.
 
Now 7am and we're about to go for breakfast,then we're out to Halong Bay. After a one night stay out there, on the island in a hotel, then to Haiphong City, Ninh Bihn, then over ngiht train to Hue,via the DMZ and some tunnels. So hopefully will write more thre and upload photos. Or else when back to Saigon.
 
Signing off!!!
 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home